Clydebank MSP Marie McNair praises plans for town as ‘a vision that inspires’ for the future

CLYDEBANK’S MSP has given a warm welcome to the “inspirational” vision to breathe new life into the centre of the town.The new look to the town centre would see the amount of space given to shopping slashed and more room devoted to houses and open spaces.The vision for the town is contained in a 15-year ‘development framework’ for Clydebank, considered by members of the infrastructure, regeneration and economic development committee at West Dunbartonshire Council (WDC) last week.The vision includes new homes on the site of the former Playdrome leisure centre, a new transport hub for buses, trains and active travel, and redeveloping Sylvania Way to create new residential, retail and business opportunities.Much of the current shopping space between the Forth and Clyde Canal and Chalmers Street would disappear and be replaced by homes, new business premises, a market hall – and perhaps even a new cinema for the town.A new park, improved indoor and outdoor space for community activities and an activities centre also feature, along with more childcare facilities and “later living” accommodation.It was also revealed that there could be potential to develop a new school, if the opportunity and funding arose, serving new homes in the town centre and Queens Quay.Reacting to the details of the new Clydebank Development Framework, Marie McNair MSP said: “Bankies know what is best for Clydebank town centre. That’s why the ambitious plan to redevelop the town centre was built on the ideas set out by local people during the extensive consultation process and community charrettes run by West Dunbartonshire Council.“It is a vision of our town centre that provides people with space to meet friends and relax in a nice environment. It would connect the centre to the rest of the town, with improved public transport and cycle infrastructure. And it would create the right environment for a diverse range of housing, shops, cafes, pubs and restaurants.  “It is a vision that inspires, and I look forward to working with the council, Scottish Government, and community groups to help make it a reality.” Approval of the framework does not, however, commit WDC to funding any part of the vision at this stage.West Dunbartonshire currently owns 20 per cent of the Clyde Shopping Centre, but has an option to buy the other 80 per cent.The Post revealed in 2019 that the majority owners of the centre were looking to sell their share of the retail complex.And a year ago councillors were told that the Cerberus investment fund which owns the shopping centre no longer wanted to invest in it.In May, WDC officials were instructed to “negotiate terms of a possible purchase of the leasehold interest” in the complex, though there has been no further update from council bosses since then.The Clyde Shopping Centre’s owners declined to comment on the new vision for the town when approached by the Post.Damon Scott, chief executive of the Dunbartonshire Chamber of Commerce, said: “The creation of a vision for Clydebank is a really important step towards re-imagining a positive and successful future for the town centre.“The changing landscape of retail is an integral part of this and the need for a more experiential focus has been central to our discussions. “The creation of an evening economy, a mixed-use town centre and increased digital and physical connectivity are all exciting opportunities.” West Dunbartonshire MP Martin Docherty-Hughes said: “The council is ambitious about making improvements to Clydebank Town Centre and I welcome this report which outlines a 15-year vision for the local area. “As consumer habits change, it’s vital that future development in Clydebank strikes the right balance in ensuring more affordable housing whilst delivering better retail and leisure spaces. “It’s also important that our heritage and historic buildings are protected, and I’m pleased to see plans for enhancing the iconic Co-op building as the centrepiece of new public square and modern marketplace in Clydebank.“I have been pressing for investment in infrastructure and better transport links in West Dunbartonshire and I hope plans for a new transportation hub in Clydebank can deliver the improvements needed.“I would urge Bankies and local businesses to engage with the planning process for these proposals as they move forward.”

Clydebank MSP Marie McNair praises plans for town as ‘a vision that inspires’ for the future
CLYDEBANK’S MSP has given a warm welcome to the “inspirational” vision to breathe new life into the centre of the town.The new look to the town centre would see the amount of space given to shopping slashed and more room devoted to houses and open spaces.The vision for the town is contained in a 15-year ‘development framework’ for Clydebank, considered by members of the infrastructure, regeneration and economic development committee at West Dunbartonshire Council (WDC) last week.The vision includes new homes on the site of the former Playdrome leisure centre, a new transport hub for buses, trains and active travel, and redeveloping Sylvania Way to create new residential, retail and business opportunities.Much of the current shopping space between the Forth and Clyde Canal and Chalmers Street would disappear and be replaced by homes, new business premises, a market hall – and perhaps even a new cinema for the town.A new park, improved indoor and outdoor space for community activities and an activities centre also feature, along with more childcare facilities and “later living” accommodation.It was also revealed that there could be potential to develop a new school, if the opportunity and funding arose, serving new homes in the town centre and Queens Quay.Reacting to the details of the new Clydebank Development Framework, Marie McNair MSP said: “Bankies know what is best for Clydebank town centre. That’s why the ambitious plan to redevelop the town centre was built on the ideas set out by local people during the extensive consultation process and community charrettes run by West Dunbartonshire Council.“It is a vision of our town centre that provides people with space to meet friends and relax in a nice environment. It would connect the centre to the rest of the town, with improved public transport and cycle infrastructure. And it would create the right environment for a diverse range of housing, shops, cafes, pubs and restaurants.  “It is a vision that inspires, and I look forward to working with the council, Scottish Government, and community groups to help make it a reality.” Approval of the framework does not, however, commit WDC to funding any part of the vision at this stage.West Dunbartonshire currently owns 20 per cent of the Clyde Shopping Centre, but has an option to buy the other 80 per cent.The Post revealed in 2019 that the majority owners of the centre were looking to sell their share of the retail complex.And a year ago councillors were told that the Cerberus investment fund which owns the shopping centre no longer wanted to invest in it.In May, WDC officials were instructed to “negotiate terms of a possible purchase of the leasehold interest” in the complex, though there has been no further update from council bosses since then.The Clyde Shopping Centre’s owners declined to comment on the new vision for the town when approached by the Post.Damon Scott, chief executive of the Dunbartonshire Chamber of Commerce, said: “The creation of a vision for Clydebank is a really important step towards re-imagining a positive and successful future for the town centre.“The changing landscape of retail is an integral part of this and the need for a more experiential focus has been central to our discussions. “The creation of an evening economy, a mixed-use town centre and increased digital and physical connectivity are all exciting opportunities.” West Dunbartonshire MP Martin Docherty-Hughes said: “The council is ambitious about making improvements to Clydebank Town Centre and I welcome this report which outlines a 15-year vision for the local area. “As consumer habits change, it’s vital that future development in Clydebank strikes the right balance in ensuring more affordable housing whilst delivering better retail and leisure spaces. “It’s also important that our heritage and historic buildings are protected, and I’m pleased to see plans for enhancing the iconic Co-op building as the centrepiece of new public square and modern marketplace in Clydebank.“I have been pressing for investment in infrastructure and better transport links in West Dunbartonshire and I hope plans for a new transportation hub in Clydebank can deliver the improvements needed.“I would urge Bankies and local businesses to engage with the planning process for these proposals as they move forward.”